Backyards 4 wildlife
Nature is not a place to visit. It is home.
– Gary Snyder
An apartment balcony, small courtyard or big property can have a native garden that attracts beautiful wildlife. Simple features like bee hotels, nestboxes, birdbaths, rocks and hollow logs make our gardens more interesting and provide food and shelter to beautiful wildlife.
How can I help?
You’ve always liked the idea of having a backyard alive with the sound of twitters and scurrying but just don’t know how? Fear not! It’s easier than you may think and here are three handy hints to kick-start the renovations:
- Create habitat in gardens by adding potted or landscaped native plants, rocks and logs
- Add nesting boxes or bee hotels for native animals
- Mulch provides multiple benefits to keeping your garden healthy and waterwise while providing habitat for many critters.
- Urban Biodiversity – Comprehensive guides to Adelaide and Coastal gardens, links to native plant nurseries, and habitat needs for frogs, butterflies, birds and more.
- Plant Selector – Find the right plant for you! A native plant catalogue that allows you to search by suburb, plant use or look.
- Backyards 4 Wildlife Native Plant Species List – Natural Resources Management Adelaide and Mt Lofty ranges