Go out, go out I beg of you and taste the beauty of the wild.
Behold the miracle of the earth with all the wonder of a child
– Edna Jaques, Poet
When was the last time you played outside? Play today! Smell the ocean, listen to the sounds of birds overhead; playing in nature makes us happier and healthier. Adelaide has great greenspaces to explore. Our unique parks and reserves are easy to get to and have something for everyone. Spending time in nature increases our zest for life, and can improve our physical and mental health and general wellbeing.
What can I do?
The benefits of spending time outdoors for both our health and our happiness makes taking time out of our busy lives even more worthwhile. It’s time to reserve some time and here are some ideas of how to get started:
- Instead of playing indoors, take the kids to your local play park or nature reserve Not only does it give everyone some outdoors time, but also encourages your children to connect with nature and create bonds and friendships within your community.
- Take your pet for a walk in the park, on the beach or just around the neighborhood
- Join an outdoors group, whether it be based on adventure, fitness or friendship, joining a group might be the encouragement you need to dedicate some time to being outside.
- Walking SA – find a walking buddy, group or guide and get fit whilst being outside
- Outdoors and Adventure Meetups Adelaide – find like-minded individuals and get adventuring in the inspiring outdoors.
- Dog friendly walks in Adelaide – take those pesky pooches for a relaxing walk, it burns their energy levels and invigorates yours